Saturday 19 July 2014

The hardship of learning to drive

Nothing less than a miracle occurred last Thursday and that was the fact that I passed my driving test first time. After months of very expensive and frustrating lessons I can actually legally driving on my own, which is kind of alarming for myself and the general population. 


Most of my friends loved the idea of being able to drive and were bouncing at the chance to get behind the wheel. Me on the other hand, I was petrified! My mum eventually forced me into by booking lessons behind my back and for the whole of my first lesson I was visibly shaking from head to toe. I was not built for the driving; I hated being outside my comfort zone and not instantly being good at something. I like to put everything into neat little boxes in my head, with everything being black and white. Driving is a completely grey area; every time you hit the road situations change and you are constantly making decisions; which was something that took me months to build the confidence to deal with. 

I preserved with lessons despite my hatred and distinct lack of natural flare because I knew it was a life skill that I needed. I saw more and more of my friends pass and the freedom linked to driving is insane. We no longer have to constantly rely on public transport or our parents giving us lifts everywhere; we can spontaneously decide to go for lunch and everything doesn't need to be planned to the second. It was such a huge motivation for the continuous torture that I found lessons and clearly my persistence paid off. 

What I am trying to explain is don't give up when it comes to driving or anything for that matter because you will eventually get there. Before I started to learn how to drive I was disheartened by the fact that everyone appeared to love driving or how they appeared to master it so rapidly when it took me hours to even understand gear changes. I have since realised that is not the case, people just keep quiet about their mistakes. I did not take that route and I told everyone my apparently 'hilarious' tales which then encouraged my pals to tell me their experiences which were not as rosy as it may have first appeared. 


I've come to realisation that there are very few people who can instantly pick up a skill and it is instead your persistence, motivation and self-belief that will see you succeed! In hindsight I realise I could have passed my test a lot sooner if I believed in my own ability and took control in my lessons. To this day I am still sarcastic to people about my driving but I finally know in my head and heart that I am a competent driver. So if it's driving, exams, jobs or socially believe in yourself because that is 90% of the battle! 

Peace Out My Lovelies xxx

Track of the week: Seventeen Forever- Metro Station 

No comments:

Post a Comment